Re: SB Live 5.1 experiment

Mandar Mitra wrote, on 2007-05-17 04:00:
>>> cat /proc/asound/version (for the current setup that doesn't work)
>
> So I downloaded, compiled and installed alsa-driver, alsa-lib,
> alsa-utils, and now /proc/asound/version says:
>
> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.13.
> Compiled on May 16 2007 for kernel 2.6.13-15-smp (SMP).
>
> I've also checked "amixer contents" and all capture related settings
> are symmetric across left and right channels (both on, both off, or
> same numerical value).
>
> I'd greatly appreciate it if you could report your experience with
> recording from line in.

Firstly if running under KDE I recommend the package krecord and once
you have started it, select "input level" from "options". This can show
you the input level of the recording stream, although you may wish to
quit krecord and use another program to record (e.g. arecord or audacity).

After some tweaking with kmix for my SB0220 card, I found that I had to
set on the INPUT tab:

Capture red recording light ON, level didn't seem to matter

AC97 red recording light ON, adjust level as needed (I used maximum
level when connecting the RCA connector outputs on an FM radio receiver
to the SB Live! 5.1 line input).

alsamixer was similar, although I just had to enable recording on
"capture" and set the level on "AC97".

Once that was done, stereo recording with krecord or arecord worked fine.

Arthur.