Re: headphones

Khalid Luqman wrote:
> So I need help. Not with installation. I have ubuntu 7.04 installed and
> Alsa comes preinstalled and it works ok. Except I have one glitch that I
> havent been able to fix for months. I get terrible sound through
> headphones. At high volumes its static but fine at volumes at which I
> can barely hear it (which is obviously useless). Its not the hardware
> and its not the headphones because everything works ok in windows. I
> have no clue what the problem is and I have not clue where to begin. Ive
> tried ubuntuforums and launchpad but Ive gotten no
> any help? thanks

   what's the soundcard/notebook? did search for experiences with the
same notebook? http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/ or just search...

   it sounds like combination of impedance mismatch and mismatch of the
output level of the jack and what headphones expect. If you check docs
(or back panel) for speakers, headphones and soundcard you should be
able to figure out which is it.

   Not sure why windows work, it is possible that the soundcard makes it
possible to set different output levels and windows is setting the one
that's good for headphones and linux is using the one that's good for
speakers.

   Things to randomly try (to get closer to what the problem is):

   - different headphones (with different impedance, of course)

   -  headphone amp

   - http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/speakers/8054/ or any similar
device you can get your hands on

	erik