Re: Help with alsa and Debian please!

On 5/2/07, Simon Blomberg <s.blomberg1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Jaime,
>
> I have a question: How do you keep the sound volume settings between
> boots? It resets to "muted" on reboot. There is a solution in the alsa
> wiki, but it doesn't work for me.

Provided your Etch install is "OK", you should get this "for free".
The mechanism has something to do with debian's alsa-utils package,
which installs a file called /etc/init.d/alsa-utils. This file is
(symbolically) linked to from both /etc/rc6.d/K50alsa-utils and
/etc/rc0.d/K50alsa-utils. Debian startup/shutdown process calls
various functions in /etc/init.d/alsa-utils which saves your mixer
settings at shutdown, and restores them at boot-up. I haven't traced
the process exactly - it "just works" for me (and has done on every
machine that I've ever done a fresh debian install on). Just in case
it helps, here's the output of "find /etc/ -iname '*alsa*'":

/etc/rc6.d/K50alsa-utils
/etc/default/alsa
/etc/apm/scripts.d/alsa
/etc/apm/suspend.d/80alsa
/etc/apm/resume.d/20alsa
/etc/udev/rules.d/85-alsa.rules
/etc/rc0.d/K50alsa-utils
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
/etc/acpi/suspend.d/85-alsa-state.sh
/etc/init.d/alsa-utils

If something's broken, it _may_ be easier to re-install (depending on
your circumstances). If not, try uninstalling and re-installing your
alsa-utils and alsa-base debian packages (using aptitude/apt-get or
something similar).

HTH, Jaime