Re: Help with alsa and Debian please!

On 4/30/07, Simon Blomberg <s.blomberg1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello alsa gurus,
>
> I am trying to get sound working on my Dell XPS 710 quad-core machine
> with Debian linux. My box came with an unsupported (by alsa) soundcard,
> so I am trying to switch to the integrated onboard soundcard. I have
> turned on integrated sound in the BIOS, and re-installed alsa. I have

Hi Simon. First, the disclaimer: I'm not very experienced, so my
comments may be worse than useless. Now, on with the advice...

As far as I know, debian's sound card detection/setup occurs at
boot-up, so I don't think you should need to re-install alsa. Simply
reboot after changing your bios settings, and check the contents of
/proc/asound/cards. Provided this file contains an entry for your
card(s), you should be OK to continue. If not, use lspci (it's in
debian's pciutils package) to see what cards your pci bus can see.

I prefer to use low-level tools to check stuff out when trying to
understand alsa, as every new multmedia layout can add new "problems".
As a result, I use alsamixer (from the alsa-utils package) to check
and modify volume levels, and "cat /dev/urandom | aplay" to try out
the sound output (turn the volume down first, as this latter command
will produce full volume white noise).

One question - is this on a fresh etch install, or are you using a
different version of debian?

HTH, Jaime.