Help with alsa and Debian please!

Hello alsa gurus,

I am trying to get sound working on my Dell XPS 710 quad-core machine
with Debian linux. My box came with an unsupported (by alsa) soundcard,
so I am trying to switch to the integrated onboard soundcard. I have
turned on integrated sound in the BIOS, and re-installed alsa. I have
run alsaconf, and here is the output (my comments with >>):

>> First, alsaconf finds the soundcard correctly:

hda-intel nVidia Corporation MCP55 High Definition Audio (rev a2)

>> Then everything seems to go fine: I say "yes" at all the prompts:

 Configuring snd-hda-intel
 Do you want to modify /etc/modprobe.d/sound
 and /etc/modprobe.conf if present)?

 OK, sound driver is configured.

ALSA  CONFIGURATOR

will prepare the card for playing now.

Now I will load the ALSA sound driver and use
amixer to raise the default volumes.
You can change the volume later via a mixer

>> Meanwhile, in the terminal window, I get this output:

Unloading ALSA sound driver modules: (none loaded).
Building card database...

Running update-modules...
WARNING: Error inserting snd
(/lib/modules/2.6.18-4-amd64/updates/alsa/acore/snd.ko): Unknown symbol
in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
WARNING: Error inserting snd_timer
(/lib/modules/2.6.18-4-amd64/updates/alsa/acore/snd-timer.ko): Unknown
symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
WARNING: Error inserting snd_pcm
(/lib/modules/2.6.18-4-amd64/updates/alsa/acore/snd-pcm.ko): Unknown
symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
WARNING: Error inserting snd_hda_codec
(/lib/modules/2.6.18-4-amd64/updates/alsa/pci/hda/snd-hda-codec.ko):
Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
FATAL: Error inserting snd_hda_intel
(/lib/modules/2.6.18-4-amd64/updates/alsa/pci/hda/snd-hda-intel.ko):
Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
Setting default volumes...
SNDCTL_SYSINFO: No such device or address
amixer: Mixer default open error: Illegal seek

Saving the mixer setup used for this in /var/lib/alsa/asound.state.
/usr/sbin/alsactl: relocation error: /usr/sbin/alsactl: symbol
snd_config_top, version ALSA_0.9 not defined in file libasound.so.2 with
link time reference

 Now ALSA is ready to use.
 For adjustment of volumes, use your favorite mixer.

 Have a lot of fun!

>> Clearly, I am not having a lot of fun. I still only have the system
beep, and there is a cross on the volume controller in the dock. When I
try to use it, I get this error:

The volume control did not find any elements and/or devices to control.
This means either that you don't have the right GStreamer plugins
installed, or that you don't have a sound card configured.

You can remove the volume control from the panel by right-clicking the
speaker icon on the panel and selecting "Remove From Panel" from the
menu.

>> So I checked my GStreamer plugins, and I get a lot of output,
including this:

sib-sblomber01d:/home/simonb# gst-inspect-0.10 volume
Factory Details:
  Long name:    Volume
  Class:        Filter/Effect/Audio
  Author(s):    Andy Wingo <wingo@xxxxxxxxx>
  Rank:         none (0)

Plugin Details:
  Name:                 volume
  Filename:             /usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10/libgstvolume.so
  Version:              0.10.12
  License:              LGPL
  Source module:        gst-plugins-base
  Binary package:       GStreamer Plugins (Debian)
  Origin URL:
http://packages.qa.debian.org/gst-plugins-base0.10

>> So I think it is not a GStreamer problem? Any help, suggestions,
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Simon.

--
Simon Blomberg, BSc (Hons), PhD, MAppStat.
Lecturer and Consultant Statistician

Room 320, Goddard Building (8)
T: +61 7 3365 2506
email: S.Blomberg1_at_uq.edu.au

The combination of some data and an aching desire for
an answer does not ensure that a reasonable answer can
be extracted from a given body of data. - John Tukey.