ADAT Lightpipe / FireWire / USB

I have a general question on these transport methods.

I understand ADAT LightPipe is a transmission protocol
with up to eight channels of sound, so any device with
on of these interfaces can be connected together and
transmit the sound between the devices.

With regards to Firewire and USB, many different
device manufactures have Analog to Digital Converter
devices with both Firewire and USB interfaces.

My question is:  Are the sound channels transmitted
with a standard protocol?  or does each manufacturer
implement their own transmission protocol for the
channels in their device?

So with regards to ALSA, I'm wondering if different
devices that connect via Firewire and USB pose unique
implementation issues?

Wondering...

thanks!
Ken