Kenwood USB device on Ubuntu Feisty

ALSA Users,

I've come here to this list because my situation seems to be beyond the
help of the Ubuntu Users list and my local Linux user's group.

I've got a Kenwood USB audio device, which, to my amazement, was
automatically detected and worked great with my first install of Ubuntu.
That was about a year and a half ago and the Ubuntu version was Dapper.
There was sometimes a little confusion between the motherboard's onboard
sound card and the USB device. But

Recently, a friend gave me an older computer, a decent Pentium 4 that I
thought I would convert into a MythTV box. It would be great, I thought,
to use my Kenwood USB audio and have full digital sound.

But this time, when I installed Fiesty, things don't work very well.

The Kenwood USB device seems to be detected. But there's just no sound.

When I type in "alsamixer", it says:
Card: Kenwood Audio Device
Chip: USB Mixer

The PCM levels are unmuted, and maxed up to the top of the volume bars.

But no matter what I do, I hear no sound. I've double checked the cables
are plugged in. All other USB devices are working on this computer, and
the Kenwood works on the original computer. But I don't get the login or
logout music, nor do I get any sound when playing any audio or video files.

I've checked out this web page for trouble shooting:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting

And I've tried to follow its instructions. I wiped out and reinstalled
the whole ALSA base drivers. I've checked that "modinfo soundcore"
returns results.

aplay -l lists the Kenwood audio device (*1). However, lspci -v seems to
only list the motherboard's onboard audio (*2).

Lastly, when I go to "Preferences->Sound Preferences", and I select "USB
Audio" under "Sound Playback", I get this error:
audiotestsrc wave=sine freq=512 ! audioconvert ! audioresample !
gconfaudiosink: Resource busy or not available.

I'm confused as to why this worked so smoothly before, and so poorly now.

More importantly, is there anything else I can do to diagnose this
problem and fix it?

Thank you for any advice or help.

Here is the detailed output of what I referenced above:
(*1)
card 0: I82801DBICH4 [Intel 82801DB-ICH4], device 0: Intel ICH [Intel
82801DB-ICH4]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: I82801DBICH4 [Intel 82801DB-ICH4], device 4: Intel ICH - IEC958
[Intel 82801DB-ICH4 - IEC958]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: Device [Kenwood  Audio Device], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 1/1

(*2)
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM
(ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
        Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. 845PE Max (MS-6580)
        I/O ports at e000 [size=256]
        I/O ports at dc00 [size=64]
        Memory at dffffe00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512]
        Memory at dffffd00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
        Capabilities: <access denied>

--
Dave M G
Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn