Re: [opensuse] Critical Sound Problem - very deep level - help needed !

On 4/21/07, Gustin Johnson <gustin@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am guessing that this is not really an alsa problem but something
> related to your kernel and chipset.  What kernel are you running (uname -r)?

tux@opensuse:~> uname -a
Linux opensuse 2.6.18.2-34-default #1 SMP Mon Nov 27 11:46:27 UTC 2006
i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

> This may also be  a SuSe problem.  I do not have the same hardware as
> you (all my AMD machines have various nVidia chipsets, with various
> degrees of support) so I cannot reproduce the problem.  I also do not
> have any recent experience with VIA chipsets, which is a result of my
> past experience with VIA chipsets.

This may be, so I have opened a bug report on openSUSE bugzilla first,
before contacting this list.

> I have personally had the most success with K/Ubuntu and 64studio, even
> on my problem laptop (MCP51 nVidia).  At least try with a live distro or
> two (eg. Knoppix and the live Ubuntu CD) to see if the problem persists.
>  You may wish to consider a "stock" kernel from kernel.org for testing
> and comparison.  I have no experience with this on SuSe, only the Debian
> related distros.

Well, yes, I have Debian 4 (three DVDs!!!) around, so I might try
that, but since this bug is not always reproduceble, I'll have hard
time reproducing that.

> Try booting with noirqdebug at the end of the kernel line for your
> kernel entry in /boot/grub/menu.lst
>
> Some other options to try, both alone and in combination:
> idle=poll acpi_use_timer_override pnpbios=off

I will try those kernel options, but could you explain me on each of those?

> You may also wish to consider upgrading your BIOS to the latest version

The BIOS is latest. I haven't touched the sound setting.

--
-Alexey Eremenko "Technologov"