Re: Installing problems

Hi!

I'm afraid, that I can't help you with your original problem, because I
never had a sound card that behaved differently with headphones plugged
in. But I can try to help you with updating ALSA...

Alexander Dietz schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to install the latest(?) ALSA driver/software package because I
> have repeated problems with what is installed on my computer, Fedora
> Core 5.
> I am using this computer frequently for VoIP, and sometime it works,
> sometime it does not. In some cases I plug in my headset, but I cannot hear
> anything (e.g. by playing a test file 'aplay test.wav'). I try all
> different
> KMIXER settings but it won't work. Sometime, however, it works without
> problems.
>
> So I am going to install also version 1.0.13, but it seems that the site
> (alsa-project) might have some broken links. Anyway, I managed to download
> all the packages on the  right (latestsoftware releases), and to unpack
> them. Here are my questions/problems:
> Do I have to install all of them?

You do need the library, lib-plugin and driver packages. Utils and OSS
packages are usefull, too (the first for mixers and test-programs, the
other for old applications that only work with OSS). If you need the
tool and firmware packages depends on your soundcard.

> Also when trying to install the driver and I run configure an error occurs:
>
> checking for kernel linux/version.h... no
> The file
> /lib/modules/2.6.17-1.2174_FC5smp/source/include/linux/version.hdoes
> not exist.
> Please install the package with full kernel sources for your distribution
> or use --with-kernel=dir option to specify another directory with kernel
> sources (default is /lib/modules/2.6.17-1.2174_FC5smp/source).

This message means, that you have to install the kernel sources for your
distribution. Look at your distributions documentation about how to do
this. Maybe this link will help you, too:

http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-fc5.html#kernelsrc

> Well, there is no such file. Is there a workaround? What can I do if I do
> not have this file? There is no file 'version.h' in the whole /lib
> directory. Also why do I need this?
>
> Maybe there is a solution to my original problem (e.g. a command-line
> argument to 'switch' on to put  the sound output to the headphones)??
>

> Anyway, thanks for any help.
>  Alex

Regards, Ingo