Installing problems

Hi,

I am trying to install the latest(?) ALSA driver/software package because I have repeated problems with what is installed on my computer, Fedora Core 5. I am using this computer frequently for VoIP, and sometime it works, sometime it does not. In some cases I plug in my headset, but I cannot hear anything ( e.g. by playing a test file 'aplay test.wav'). I try all different KMIXER settings but it won't work. Sometime, however, it works without problems.

So I am going to install also version 1.0.13, but it seems that the site (alsa-project) might have some broken links. Anyway, I managed to download all the packages on the  right (latestsoftware releases), and to unpack them. Here are my questions/problems:
Do I have to install all of them?
Also when trying to install the driver and I run configure an error occurs:

checking for kernel linux/version.h... no
The file /lib/modules/2.6.17-1.2174_FC5smp/source/include/linux/version.h does not exist.
Please install the package with full kernel sources for your distribution
or use --with-kernel=dir option to specify another directory with kernel
sources (default is /lib/modules/2.6.17-1.2174_FC5smp/source ).

Well, there is no such file. Is there a workaround? What can I do if I do not have this file? There is no file 'version.h' in the whole /lib directory. Also why do I need this?

Maybe there is a solution to my original problem ( e.g. a command-line argument to 'switch' on to put  the sound output to the headphones)??

Anyway, thanks for any help.
  Alex