Re: Can't play 1 file on front and 1 on spdif

Takashi Iwai <tiwai@xxxxxxx> writes:

> SPDIF output is one of PITA.

A Plug In The Amplifier ? ;-)

> I believe the default behavior is OK for most users.  Most of users
> do want outputs from both.  Otherwise they blame it's a bug.

I see your point.

> For getting the independent SPDIF output, open "spdif" PCM before
> opening analog ("default") PCM.  Then the SPDIF route is assigned
> exclusively.  After that, you can use the default PCM to send to
> analog.

Sure. It might be confusing because a lot of applications are using
sound every now and then. For instance, when you log on with KDE.

> Yes, the setup could be improved by some mixer/card switch or enum
> element.  But OTOH, such a flexible thing may confuse users who
> accidentally touched it and broke the setting, too.

Point taken.

So this option should be reserved for advanced user. Either in
asoundrc (although I don't know if it's possible) or through a
snd-intel-hda module parameter.

HTH

--
Dominique Dumont
"Delivering successful solutions requires giving people what they