Re: Can't play 1 file on front and 1 on spdif

At Mon, 19 Mar 2007 22:25:08 +0100,
Dominique Dumont wrote:

> Dominique Dumont <domi.dumont@xxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > There's one odd behavior. If I play one file with 'aplay ', I get
> > music on front speakers *and* on spdif output. (see attached output of
> > 'aplay -v'). Normally, spdif should stay silent.
>
> Response to myself: No.
>
> Here's the reason found in hda_codec.c:
>
> /*
>  * set up the i/o for analog out
>  * when the digital out is available, copy the front out to digital out, too.
>  */
> int snd_hda_multi_out_analog_prepare(struct hda_codec *codec, struct hda_multi_out *mout,
> 				     unsigned int stream_tag,
> 				     unsigned int format,
> 				     struct snd_pcm_substream *substream)
>

> I'll document this behavior in the wiki once this one is back online.
>
> I'm not so sure this copy is a good idea though. It may be more clear
> and helpfull to provide a switch in alsamixer.

SPDIF output is one of PITA.

I believe the default behavior is OK for most users.  Most of users do
want outpus from both.  Otherwise they blame it's a bug.

For getting the independent SPDIF output, open "spdif" PCM before
opening analog ("default") PCM.  Then the SPDIF route is assigned
exclusively.  After that, you can use the default PCM to send to
analog.

Yes, the setup could be improved by some mixer/card switch or enum
element.  But OTOH, such a flexible thing may confuse users who
accidentally touched it and broke the setting, too.

Takashi