Re: Gina24 install problems

Ingo Müller schrieb:
> bajongo schrieb:
>
>> Hi Lee,
>>
>> I do know nearly nothing about these things yet. I only want to get my
>> Gina24 running under Linux. I'm a Linux beginner.
>> Until you told me I didn't know that there is ALSA already in my kernel.
>> I searched the net for a howto to install drivers for my audio card and
>> found this a little dated howto on the ALSA page.
>> How do I do it?
>>
>> Thanx in advance, FRitz
>>

> Hi!
>
> Unfortunately, there is really no howto that is up to date and
> "beginner-ready". I'll try to explain how to do it and if it works, this
> email can serve as a base for a new howto.
>
> First, download the latest alsa packages from the official website:
>
> ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/driver/alsa-driver-1.0.13.tar.bz2
> ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/lib/alsa-lib-1.0.13.tar.bz2
> ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/plugins/alsa-plugins-1.0.13.tar.bz2
> ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/utils/alsa-utils-1.0.13.tar.bz2
> ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/firmware/alsa-firmware-1.0.13.tar.bz2
> ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/oss-lib/alsa-oss-1.0.12.tar.bz2
>
> There is another package, alsa-tools-1.0.13, but I don't know exactly
> what's up with that. I think most users won't need it.
>
> Now untar the packages you just downloaded:
>
> tar -jxvf alsa-driver-1.0.13.tar.bz2
> tar -jxvf alsa-lib-1.0.13.tar.bz2
> [...]
>
> Then, for each of the packages, enter the newly created folder,
> configure the compiler, compile and install. Preferred order is driver,
> lib, utils, other, as some packages need to be installed before others.
>
> cd alsa-driver-1.0.13
> ./configure
> make
> sudo make install
>
> cd ../alsa-lib-1.0.13
> ./configure
> [...]
>
> The configure command of the driver package without parameters sets the
> compiler to compile and install all available drivers, which is OK in
> most cases. If you only want to install some drivers, you can specifiy
> them with ./configure --with-cards=<list> (see ./configure --help for
> available drivers and other details). Only execute the make command if
> the ./configure command didn't show any errors and only execute the make
> install command if the make command didn't either.
>
> If everything worked fine, you only have to restart your computer (well,
> you don't have to, but it's easier than restarting alsa and loading the
> new drivers manually).
>
> I hope this works for you! If you have any questions or ideas about how
> to improve this explanation, please let me know!
>
> Regards, Ingo

Yeah!

Thanx a lot, Ingo.
After following your detailed instructions (not suited for the total
Linux beginner but it was OK for me as I already read a few hours in my
Linux book)

cat /proc/asound/cards gives me this:

0 [Gina24         ]: Echo_Gina24 - Gina24
                      Gina24 rev.0 (DSP56301) at 0xfeae0000 irq 185

So I seem to be closer now. But I still can't e.g. play a mp3 file.
Xine tells me "Einrichtung aller Audiotreiber fehlgeschlagen" (something
like configuration of all audio devices failed).

And now? :-)

Best wishes, FRitz