Re: Gina24 install problems

bajongo schrieb:
> Hi Lee,
>
> I do know nearly nothing about these things yet. I only want to get my
> Gina24 running under Linux. I'm a Linux beginner.
> Until you told me I didn't know that there is ALSA already in my kernel.
> I searched the net for a howto to install drivers for my audio card and
> found this a little dated howto on the ALSA page.
> How do I do it?
>
> Thanx in advance, FRitz

Hi!

Unfortunately, there is really no howto that is up to date and
"beginner-ready". I'll try to explain how to do it and if it works, this
email can serve as a base for a new howto.

First, download the latest alsa packages from the official website:

ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/driver/alsa-driver-1.0.13.tar.bz2
ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/lib/alsa-lib-1.0.13.tar.bz2
ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/plugins/alsa-plugins-1.0.13.tar.bz2
ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/utils/alsa-utils-1.0.13.tar.bz2
ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/firmware/alsa-firmware-1.0.13.tar.bz2
ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/oss-lib/alsa-oss-1.0.12.tar.bz2

There is another package, alsa-tools-1.0.13, but I don't know exactly
what's up with that. I think most users won't need it.

Now untar the packages you just downloaded:

tar -jxvf alsa-driver-1.0.13.tar.bz2
tar -jxvf alsa-lib-1.0.13.tar.bz2
[...]

Then, for each of the packages, enter the newly created folder,
configure the compiler, compile and install. Preferred order is driver,
lib, utils, other, as some packages need to be installed before others.

cd alsa-driver-1.0.13
./configure
make
sudo make install

cd ../alsa-lib-1.0.13
./configure
[...]

The configure command of the driver package without parameters sets the
compiler to compile and install all available drivers, which is OK in
most cases. If you only want to install some drivers, you can specifiy
them with ./configure --with-cards=<list> (see ./configure --help for
available drivers and other details). Only execute the make command if
the ./configure command didn't show any errors and only execute the make
install command if the make command didn't either.

If everything worked fine, you only have to restart your computer (well,
you don't have to, but it's easier than restarting alsa and loading the
new drivers manually).

I hope this works for you! If you have any questions or ideas about how
to improve this explanation, please let me know!

Regards, Ingo