Re: using a removable card as the default?

Hi!

I agree that a native failback function of ALSA would be the best
solution and should definitely be implemented (if possible easily enough).

While waiting for that, I've got another idea than udev rules and module
different possible combinations of devices plugged in (like one for the
pci card only and one if the usb card is plugged in). When plugging in
or out a card, a script would be launched (with udev or hotplug or
whatever) which would find out which devices are available and move the
appropriate .asoundrc.combinationX to .asoundrc.

This solution allows everything to be configured depending on the
available devices. E.g. one might want the surround51 device downmixed
to stereo when the usb headset is plugged in, but use the default
surround51 device when it's not.

When implementing a fallback function in ALSA, there could be a similar
thing. Maybe one could define several configuration files with
<confdir:pcm/surround.conf> or devide the .asoundrc file in several
sections, one for every combination of available devices.

Of course, these are just ideas of an user and implementing them might
not be what a developper wants. I just want to contribute as much as I
can, even if it's only ideas...

Regards, Ingo