using a removable card as the default?

Hello,

Is it possible to define the removable card as the default in a system with
a permanent, internal card and a removable (ie, USB) one? I know about
passing 'index=i' to the driver modules, but I am having a hard time
figuring out how to use that mechanism when one of the cards is removable. I
would like to use the following simple rule:

If the removable (usb) card is connected to the system, make it the default.
Otherwise, use the internal card.

The trouble is that, once the corresponding driver modules have been loaded
with a given index number:

/sbin/modprobe snd-usb-audio index=0 [for the removable card]
/sbin/modprobe snd-intel8x0 index=1 [for the internal card]

With this setup, aplay fails to produce sound when the removable card is not
present since default is not set (there is no card with index 0).

Can I somehow tell alsa (in /etc/asound.conf) that the card with the *lowest
index* (ie, not necessarily the one with index=0) should be used as 'default'?

Thanks in advance for any help

Michael