Re: using a removable card as the default?

On 2/15/07, Bill Unruh <unruh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Feb 2007, Michael Lara wrote:
>
> > Hi Ingo and Jean-Michel,
> >
> > Thank you both for your replies! My system is still stuck in pre-udev
> > pre-history, so I will have to wait until I can try out the udev rules trick.
>
> What kernel is it running? Pre udev was hotplug which did the same thing.
> Ie, you should be able to cobble together a hotplug script which unloads
> the old driver of the onboard card when you plug in the usb card, then,
> when that is unloaded, load the usb driver as the default and finally (or
> not) load the onboard driver. On unplugging, unload both drivers, and then
> reload the onboard on as default.

You can't unload a driver if any applications have the sound device open.

Why muck around with the kernel drivers anyway?  This problem should
be solvable in userspace (as long as you don't use /dev/dsp apps).

ALSA allows addressing devices by name so module loading order is
irrelevant.  All that's missing is for .asoundrc to support defining a
default device with fallback to another card.

Lee