Surround sound with M-Audio Revolution 5.1

Hello,

I've got an issue with the M-Audio Revolution 5.1 card. Basically, I can
only get it to output 2.0 stereo; the LFE, center, and surround channels
are silent.

ALSA 1.0.13, OpenSUSE 10.1 stock RPMs.

I ran alsaconf and configured the card with the ice1724 driver (I
previously had an onboard nForce2 AC97 card configured). Test sound
played ok as 2.0 stereo. I've got nothing written in either ~/.asoundrc
or /etc/asound.conf .

$aplay foo.wav
(works, 2.0)

$ aplay foo.wav -Dsurround51
Playing WAVE 'foo.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 22050 Hz, Stereo
aplay: set_params:904: Sample format non available

$ speaker-test -c 6
(only outputs to front L-R.)

$ speaker-test -Dsurround51
speaker-test 1.0.13

Playback device is surround51
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 1 channels
Using 16 octaves of pink noise
Sample format not available for playback: Invalid argument
Setting of hwparams failed: Invalid argument

I read in the ALSA Wiki that this board may only be capable of S32
Little Endian format, so I tried

$ aplay foo.wav -Dsurround51 -f S32_LE
Warning: format is changed to S16_LE
Playing WAVE 'foo.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 22050 Hz, Stereo
aplay: set_params:904: Sample format non available

$ mplayer some.mp3 -ao alsa:device=plug=surround51 -channels 6
(only output is to front and playback is too fast)

I wasn't able to troubleshoot my problem by using Google or the ALSA
wiki. I'm not an audio expert, I just want to listen to some music and
play some games with surround sound. If I can provide you with
additional info, please let me know. Thanks.

Sorin