Re: Cheap USB audio card with phantom

Thank you for your answers:
> Not sure what you want-- that may be why you get no response. By two> channels in, do you mean a single stereo channel in? What do you mean> by> "two xlr entries" or "preamp"? sound cards tend not to be mixer> boards, and> especially not cheap mixer boards. Why not buy a cheap usb soundcard> (I> like the maudio transit-- under $100-- it has a standard stereo in)> and add a preamp if that is really> what you need.> > Why do you need XLR connectors and a preamp for Internet Podcast?
I need a professionnal voice microphone, like in a normal radio.Therefore, I need XLR entries.
> I have an Edirol UA-25. I don't know if it's fully supported, but as> far> as I can tell, it works perfectly. It records and plays in all the> bitrates etc.> it's supposed to, and the MIDI interface works as well.> That doesn't mean that every Linux program works well with it, since> some of them> e.g. Audacity seems to assume that it should have mixer controls,> which> it doesn't have, since those are on the box. But I've used it with> Jack, Ardour and> Rosegarden without any problems at all.
I phone people using SIP protocol.The SIP phone (Twinkle) needs a mixer.
At the same time, I record my voice at high rate.Then I mix the result in Audacity, but I will soon switch to Ardour.
This is only ONE need, I have other needs ...I also produce short films shot in DV.I need to record voices with good quality.
> I've also tested the M-Audio MobilePre, and it also seemed to work> well. It has> mixer controls and knobs on the box, which is kind of confusing. I> haven't tested> it a lot though. There's some info about needing to load firmware to> the MobilePre,> but I didn't need to do that. I think they come in different versions> without> changing the name. But there is a firmware loader for it if it's> needed, but> if they keep changing it without letting people know about it, I> wouldn't> bet on buying one without testing it first.>
Th M-audio Pre is a suitable solution.
I was wondering about the new TASCAM US-122L.It is very cheap (159 €) and quite popular.Do you think it is supported by Alsa?
More generaly, are there established standards in audio?What are theses acronyms: ASIO, ASIO2, GSIF2, WDM, CoreAudio, CoreMIDI,kernel streaming, etc...
I will create a page on the unofficial Alsa wiki.
> Well, a USB audio interface hardly qualifies as a sound card, either.> There are quite a few USB and Firewire interfaces that have preamps> with XLR inputs, largely because that's what microphones (in a> broadcast> or recording context) use.> > Finding such a device that works with Linux could be a challenge> though.> I got the impression from a quick look at the M-Audio web site that> most of their USB devices listed on the ALSA matrix have been> discontinued. Is a Firewire device with jackd and libfreebob not> an option?
If there is a cheap (< 200€) Firewire card with two XLR entries, pleaselet me know. I am interested.
Kind regards,Jean-Michel Pouré

-------------------------------------------------------------------------Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of ITJoin SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share youropinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys - and earn cashhttp://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV_______________________________________________Alsa-user mailing listAlsa-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/alsa-user