Re: Cheap USB audio card with phantom

Jean-Michel Pouré wrote:
>> I am looking for a cheap two channels USB audio card, with two XLR
>> entries and preamp. This is for an Internet Podcast. Of course, I need
>> good Alsa support.
>>

> I lost hours connecting on Websites to look for information.
> Can anyone help me, this would be very nice.
>
> Is there a single fully-supported card answering my needs?

You'd have to check, but Edirol make a couple of USB sound cards with
XLR connectors. The UA-101 certainly has phantom power and it has a
smaller, cheaper brother whose model number I forget. Support for the
UA-101 is in the 2.6.21 kernel (http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_2_6_21)
and, obviously, in recent ALSA distributions.

It's very nice, but not especially cheap (Dolphin Music in the UK are
selling it for €442). A possibly cheaper solution is to get a small
mixer (the Behringer Xenyx 802 is nice and Google showed me one for
£40). I've used the mixer with an aging SoundBlaster Live! and a Griffin
iMic (which is USB) and I've had good results with both.

Of course, the UA-101 is very tempting ... but I'm not likely to make
good use of its microphone amplifiers.

jch