 > On 5/1/07, Paul Fox <pgf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 > > might not work in my particular case:
 > >     make_a_sound;
 > >     sleep 2;
 > >     make_a_sound;
 > >     sleep 3;
 > >     make_another_sound;
 >
 > Read: man text2wav
 > Then learn how to pipe the output of text2wav into lame and you're done.

not quite, though if you can tell me how to make it do what i
want, i'd love to hear.  (i've been using festival for TTS for
about 10 years now, i'm sure there are features i'm unaware of.)

the problem is that what my script does is something like:
    echo "Starting sit-ups" | text2wave >/dev/dsp
    sleep 1
    echo "ready, set, 1" | text2wave >/dev/dsp
    sleep 2
    echo "ready, set, 2" | text2wave >/dev/dsp
    sleep 2
    echo "ready, set, 3" | text2wave >/dev/dsp
    etc

collecting all the output into one .wav file would lose the delays.

if there were a way to get festival to insert delays using text markup
of some sort, then that would probably work.  something like this:

    ( echo "Starting sit-ups"
      echo "<tts>delay 1</tts>"
      echo "ready, set, 1"
      echo "<tts>delay 2</tts>"
      echo "ready, set, 2"
      echo "<tts>delay 2</tts>"
      echo "ready, set, 3" ) | text2wave >/dev/dsp

but i haven't figured out how to do that.

(besides, i figured knowing how to capture the output of an alsa driver
would be useful information.  :-)

paul