Re: Help/advice on RME cards and Linux ALSA

This is becoming a bit off-topic and too technical to be of general interest I
fear.

But I do agree with Sergei that the lower the frequency you want to process,
then more taps you need on your filter. There is no way out. Just the same
for analog filters you need a certain time for the response to settle. And
distinguishing  the edges of a 1/6 octave filter at 10 Hz and the passband is
rather for the sake of giving it a name. You are talking about milliHertz
range.

Johan

On Saturday 27 January 2007 22:58, Bill Unruh wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Jan 2007, Sergei Steshenko wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 14:23:19 -0800 (PST)
> > Bill Unruh <unruh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

that

and

> >> It does not matter. The response of the loop is completely local in time.
> >> The next instant's voltage output of the oscillator is simply determined
by
> >> the charge on the capacitor and the current through the
> >> inductor/resistor. This purely local intereaction is what gives the
system
> >> its memory. Otherwise analog filters would not work either-- suffereing
> >> from huge latencies.

> >> Again, it does not matter.
> >> These all arise purely from the local in time equations of motion, which
> >> can be modeled by purely local equations for the digital stream (ie
> >> depending only on a few buffer values which are updated at each time
step , and the input value
> >> now.

> > You may tell me is much as you can it doesn't matter.
> >
> > I did build an IIR bands per octave high Q (1/6 of octave can be
> > suppressed by 30db) equalizer, and it works, just the difference
> > in group delay is so big that drums + percussions don't sound
> > naturally - the low frequency component comes much later than
> > the high frequency one.
> >
> > Bill, again, have a look at Q <-> F <-> group delay <-> what
> > we, humans, hear.
> >
> > Think of the whole thing differently - who what smallest time you
> > have to observe a signal to understand that it has a 1Hz component ?
> >
> > The answer is 1 second.
>
> No. No human ear can detect 1 Hz-- 20 Hz is the minimum, but will accept
> your point that the an analog equaliser at low frequencies can start
> messing with the timing of the low frequency signals. This has nothing to
> do with latency, or with locality, and it has nothing to do with digital
> processing.
> >
> > Have you ever conducted laboratory work on how signals propagate
> > through oscillating loops ?
>
> Sure. It is a standard undergraduate experiment.
>

> > Have you observed the delay in envelopes ?
>
> The "delay" occurs at the edges of the bandpass (for a bandpass filter)--
> ie places wheer the phase of the filter changes rapidly.  So what you would
> really like are low phase shift filter designs.
>

> > Do you agree at all agree that we can have good resolution either
> > in frequency or in time domain, but not both ?
>
> ?? No idea what this has to do with the question at hand.
> He wants a filter design to alter the frequency response at the ultra low
> bass frequencies. Why he would want that I have no idea. But, assuming he
> can do this with an analog equaliser board, he can also do it with a
> digital one, with minimal  extra latency. Whether he really wants to do that
or
> whether it is a good idea I have no comments on.
>

> > Regards,
> >  Sergei.
> >

> --
> William G. Unruh   |  Canadian Institute for|     Tel: +1(604)822-3273
> Physics&Astronomy  |     Advanced Research  |     Fax: +1(604)822-5324
> [...]

You're never alone when you hear voices inside your head.