Re: USB 2.0 Sound?

Hallo,
Gareth Foster hat gesagt: // Gareth Foster wrote:

> The TASCAM card has an older USB 1.0 version that apparently does
> work, but this will likely have latency issues, so I'd rather get a
> USB 2.0 card.

I might be completely wrong, but I think, USB 2.0 has the same latency
as USB 1.1. IIR all you get from 2.0 is more bandwidth. Clemens,
correct me if I'm wrong. ;)

Anyway not many 2.0 devices are supported. The only interesting one
from Edirol AFAIK isn't.

And regarding latency of USB 1.1 devices: It's the same for every
device, so you're free to pick any if only latency is of concern to
you.

Generally the latency of USB devices is not as bad as one may think.
It's perfectly possible to run jackd with 3 periods and 256 period
size on a stock 2.6.18 kernel with preemption enabled without dropouts
using 2 in/6 out channels at 48kHz. I do this regularily. You can even
go with smaller period sizes like 128 and even 64 and sometimes 32,
but 64 and smaller is quite a burden to the machine and I would
recommend a rt-patched kernel then. But then I'm happy with 3/256
periods in jackd.

Good cards come from Edirol, but I own the Terratec Phase 26 because
it's cheaper and also nice and sturdy.

Ciao