ALC658: 44.1kHz plays back too fast

Hi list,

I've got an amd64 processor running on 32 bit debian unstable
distribution. The motherboard is a via8237 based Abit AV8, with a
Realtek ALC658 sound chip. Alsa version is 1.0.13 and the kernel is a
vanilla (ie. self compiled, non-debian) 2.6.18.

As I understand, the hardware should support at least 44.1kHz in
addition to 48kHz. But I'm not 100% certain since the alsa wiki
(http://alsa.opensrc.org/8233) indicates support for only 48 & 96kHz.

But when using spdif output although alsa advertises to my amplifier its
outputting 44.1kHz, the 44.1kHz material gets played too fast. In the
alsa wiki they actually mention the setup I have (via8237 & alc658 &
toslink) and suggest that adding a plugin like this to .asoundrc will
fix the problem.

   pcm.via82xx {
       type hw
       card 0
   }

   ctl.via82xx {
       type hw
       card 0
   }

   pcm.!default {
       type plug
       slave.pcm "spdif"
       slave.rate 48000
   }

This doesn't work for me however.

Is there something I can do to fix this with spdif output?

I appreciate any help, thanks in advance,

Juha