Re: Advice needed with file system corruption

From: Emmanuel Florac <eflorac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Roger Willcocks <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Steve Brooks <sjb14@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, 8 August 2016, 23:44
Subject: Re: Advice needed with file system corruption

Le Mon, 08 Aug 2016 16:38:11 +0100
Roger Willcocks <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> écrivait:

> > Late to the game, I just wanted to remark that I've unfortunately
> > verified many times that write activity during rebuilds on Adaptec
> > RAID controllers often creates corruption. I've reported that to
> > Adaptec, but they don't seem to care much...
> >

> It seems like explicitly disabling individual disk drives write-back
> cache somewhat mitigates the effect.

Drives connected to RAID controllers with battery backed cache should have their caches "disabled" (they are really set to write through mode instead).  By the way, I found out in lab testing that 7200 RPM SATA drives suffer a big performance loss when doing sequential writes in cache write through mode.