Re: Subtle races between DAX mmap fault and write path

On Tue, 2016-08-09 at 09:12 +1000, Dave Chinner wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 05, 2016 at 07:58:33PM +0000, Boylston, Brian wrote:
> >
> > Dave Chinner wrote on 2016-08-05:
> > >
> > > [ cut to just the important points ]

> > > Except that I tested without the writeback path for buffered IO,
> > > so there was a direct comparison for single cached copy vs single
> > > uncached copy.
> > >
> > > The undenial fact is that a write() with a single cached copy
> > > with all the overhead of dirty page tracking is /faster/ than a
> > > much shorter, simpler IO path that uses an uncached copy. That's
> > > what the numbers say....

> > > Not according to Boaz - he claims that uncached is 20% faster
> > > than cached. How about you two get together, do some benchmarking
> > > and get your story straight, eh?

> > > I keep hearing people tell me why cached copies are slower, but
> > > no-one is providing numbers to back up their statements. The only
> > > numbers we have are the ones I've published showing cached copies
> > > w/ full dirty tracking is faster than uncached copy w/o dirty
> > > tracking.
> > >
> > > Show me the numbers that back up your statements, then I'll
> > > listen to you.
> >
> > Here are some numbers for a particular scenario, and the code is
> > below.
> >
> > Time (in seconds) to copy a 16KiB buffer 1M times to a 4MiB NVDIMM
> > buffer (1M total memcpy()s).  For the cached+clflush case, the
> > flushes are done every 4MiB (which seems slightly faster than
> > flushing every 16KiB):
> >
> >                   NUMA local    NUMA remote
> > Cached+clflush      13.5           37.1
> > movnt                1.0            1.3
>
> So let's put that in memory bandwidth terms. You wrote 16GB to the
> NVDIMM.  That means:
>
>                   NUMA local    NUMA remote
> Cached+clflush      1.2GB/s         0.43GB/s
> movnt              16.0GB/s         12.3GB/s
>
> That smells wrong.  The DAX code (using movnt) is not 1-2 orders of
> magnitude faster than a page cache copy, so I don't believe your
> benchmark reflects what I'm proposing.
>
> What I think you're getting wrong is that we are not doing a clflush
> after every 16k write when we use the page cache, nor will we do
> that if we use cached copies, dirty tracking and clflush on fsync().

As I mentioned before, we do not use clflush on the write path.  So,
your tests did not issue clflush at all.

> IOWs, the correct equivalent "cached + clflush" loop to a volatile
> copy with dirty tracking + fsync would be:
>
> 	dstp = dst;
> 	while (--nloops) {
> 		memcpy(dstp, src, src_sz);	// pwrite();
> 		dstp += src_sz;
> 	}
>         pmem_persist(dst, dstsz);	// fsync();
>
> i.e. The cache flushes occur only at the user defined
> synchronisation point not on every syscall.

Brian's test is (16 KiB pwrite + fsync) repeated 1M times.  It compared
two approaches in the case of 16 KiB persistent write.  I do not
cosider it wrong, but it indicated that cached copy + clflush will lead
much higher overhead when sync'd in a finer granularity.

I agree that it should have less overhead in total when clflush is done
at once since it only has to evict as much as the cache size.

> Yes, if you want to make your copy slow and safe, use O_SYNC to
> trigger clflush on every write() call - that's what we do for
> existing storage and the mechanisms are already there; we just need
> the dirty tracking to optimise it.

Perhaps, you are referring flushing on disk write cache?  I do not
think clflush as a x86 instruction is used for exisiting storage.

> Put simple: we should only care about cache flush synchronisation at
> user defined data integrity synchronisation points. That's the IO
> model the kernel has always exposed to users, and pmem storage is no
> different.

Thanks,
-Toshi