Re: [RFC] Unicode/UTF-8 support for XFS

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 06:54:06AM +1000, Dave Chinner wrote:
> So how do existing utf8/unicode enabled filesystems handle this?
>
> I think we should be consistent with ZFS, MacOS and others that
> already deal with this problem if at all possible. However, this
> really is a wider policy decision for the kernel/VFS as we want
> consistent behaviour across all linux filesystems, hence this
> patchset really needs to discussed at the lkml/-fsdevel level...

Absolutely.  I've also talked to a few Samba folks at SDC, and one
thing they would love to see is conditional case insensitive lookups,
e.g.:

 - we hash case insensitive with collisions, but perform normal case
   sensitive lookups.
 - with a new AT_CASE_INSENSTIVE flag to the various *at calls that
   gets passed down to the dcache we enable CI lookups.