Re: [RFC] Unicode/UTF-8 support for XFS

On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 01:55:35PM +0200, Olaf Weber wrote:
> I looked up those discussions in the archives.  For example, here's
> Christoph about rejecting filenames if they're not well-formed unicode.
>    http://marc.info/?l=linux-fsdevel&m=120876935526856&w=2
> And Jamie Lokier making a similar point:
>    http://oss.sgi.com/archives/xfs/2008-04/msg01263.html

And I might now disagree with my past self.  While non-ut8 characters
are perfectly valid unix filenames, and I think everyones life is easier
if we generally stay out of the utf8 business it seems that for this
particular use case (shared filesystem with Windows, right) just
accepting utf8 should be fine.  ZFS is doing, MacOS X apparently is,
and NFSv4 requires it, although as far as I know most implementations
ignore that requirement.