Re: Corrupted files

I am probably overseeing a similar number (3-4000) of Hitachi A7K3000s, A7K2000s and WDC RE4s and I probably see a few failures a month. When we are building a new machine and we get a fresh shipment in, maybe 10% failure rate right out of the box. Those that survive the burn-in usually do pretty good. Man, you have my sympathy with that failure rate in excess of 50%... even the WDC Greens weren't THAT bad (although it probably got close, as we neared closer and closer to EOLing them... and they had been moved to third-tier "backup storage" status by that point). Thankfully they are gone now, LOL.

You're right, esp. in large installations, it's critical to do your homework on drives, pick a good candidate, validate it and then run with them. Even with the good ones, you've gotta keep a watchful eye... "when you buy them in bulk, they fail in bulk".

Best,

Sean

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 10:31 AM, Emmanuel Florac <eflorac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Le Tue, 09 Sep 2014 20:43:08 -0500
Leslie Rhorer <lrhorer@xxxxxxxxxxxx> écrivait:

>       None of the failed drives were WD green.  All three and the
> previous four were Seagate.  I realize that is not a large
> statistical sample.

If you're interested in large statistical samples, on a grand total of
4000 1 TB Seagate Barracuda ES2, I had to replace 2100 of them over the
course of 3 years. I still have a couple of hundred of these
unfortunate pieces of crap in service, and they still represent the
vast majority of unexpected RAID malfunctions, urgent replacements,
late night calls and other "interesting side activities".

I wouldn't buy anything labeled Seagate nowadays. Their drives have
been the baddest train wreck since the dreaded 9 GB Micropolis back in
1994 (or was it 1995?).