Re: Metadata CRC error upon unclean unmount

On 06/27/14 19:49, Dave Chinner wrote:
On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 09:26:35AM -0500, Mark Tinguely wrote:
On 06/26/14 17:47, Dave Chinner wrote:
On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 03:03:53PM -0500, Mark Tinguely wrote:

Could an out of order CIL push cause this?

I don't think so - the issue appears to be that a CRC is not being
recalculated on a buffer before IO has been issued to disk, not that
there is incorrect metadata in the buffer. Regardless of how we
modify the buffer, the CRC should always match the contents of the
block on disk because we calculate it with the buffer locked and
just prior to it being written.

SGI saw sequence 2 (and sometimes 3/4) of the cil push get in front
of cil push sequence 1. Looks like the setting of
log->l_cilp->xc_ctx->commit_lsn in xlog_cil_init_post_recovery()
lets this happen.

I don't think can actually happen - the CIL is not used until after
xlog_cil_init_post_recovery() is completed and transactions start
during EFI recovery. Any attempt to use it prior to that call will
oops on the null ctx_ticket.

As for the ordering issue, I'm pretty sure that was fixed in
commit f876e44 ("xfs: always do log forces via the workqueue").

The problem will be with the first CIL push *after* the
xlog_cil_init_post_recovery() especially if the first ctx has a
large vector list and the following ones have small ones.

Sequence 2 cannot start until sequence 1 is on the committing list
and the xc_ctx_lock has been dropped. If seqeunce 2 is then pushed,
while sequence 1 is still writing to the log, then sequence 2 can be
interleaved with sequence 1.

However, the sequences on the commit list are then strictly ordered
while the commit record is written. i.e. seqeunce 2 will sleep
waiting for seqeunce 1 to write it's commit record, which then wakes
sequence 2 so it can write it's commit record, whcih then wakes
seqeunce 3... and so on.

Log recovered once cares that the commit records for each checkpoint
are written in the correct order. You can see the checkpoint
transactions be written to the log out of order, but the order of
commit records determines the order in which checkpoints are
replayed during recovery.

Looks to me that the problem is still in the cil push worker.

I can't see how the commit records (which are written in
xfs_log_done()) would be incorrectly ordered given the way that
the commit list code serialises and orders calls to xfs_log_done()
based on sequence number.

Keep in mind that I might just be being stupid and missing
something so obvious I need a brown paper bag to hide in, so you'll
need to spell it out for me.

Cheers,

Dave.

It took me a long time to find the needle in the hay stack:

 427 STATIC int
 428 xlog_cil
 568         /*
569 * now that we've written the checkpoint into the log, strictly 570 * order the commit records so replay will get them in the right order.
 571          */
 572 restart:
 573         spin_lock(&cil->xc_push_lock);
574 list_for_each_entry(new_ctx, &cil->xc_committing, committing) {
 575                 /*
576 * Avoid getting stuck in this loop because we were woken by the 577 * shutdown, but then went back to sleep once already in the
 578                  * shutdown state.
 579                  */
 580                 if (XLOG_FORCED_SHUTDOWN(log)) {
 581                         spin_unlock(&cil->xc_push_lock);
 582                         goto out_abort_free_ticket;
 583                 }
 584
 585                 /*
586 * Higher sequences will wait for this one so skip them.
 587                  * Don't wait for our own sequence, either.
 588                  */
 589                 if (new_ctx->sequence >= ctx->sequence)
 590                         continue;
 591                 if (!new_ctx->commit_lsn) {
		         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^          here ...
 592                         /*
593 * It is still being pushed! Wait for the push to 594 * complete, then start again from the beginning.
 595                          */
596 xlog_wait(&cil->xc_commit_wait, &cil->xc_push_lock);
 597                         goto restart;
 598                 }
 599         }
 600         spin_unlock(&cil->xc_push_lock);_push(
 429         struct xlog             *log)
 430 {
...and ...

  65 /*
66 * After the first stage of log recovery is done, we know where the head and 67 * tail of the log are. We need this log initialisation done before we can
  68  * initialise the first CIL checkpoint context.
  69  *
70 * Here we allocate a log ticket to track space usage during a CIL push. This 71 * ticket is passed to xlog_write() directly so that we don't slowly leak log 72 * space by failing to account for space used by log headers and additional
  73  * region headers for split regions.
  74  */
  75 void
  76 xlog_cil_init_post_recovery(
  77         struct xlog     *log)
  78 {
  79         log->l_cilp->xc_ctx->ticket = xlog_cil_ticket_alloc(log);
  80         log->l_cilp->xc_ctx->sequence = 1;
81 log->l_cilp->xc_ctx->commit_lsn = xlog_assign_lsn(log->l_curr_cycle, 82 log->l_curr_block);
		^^^^^^^^^^ this setting is the problem.
  83 }

We need:
  1) More than one cil push after recovery. It appears that the cil push
     worker still does the pushes in separate threads and they write
     their log vector list in parallel.
  2) first push after the recovery is much larger than the following
     push(es).
    a) the following push's log writes beat the first.
    b) when they enter the above loop to check to see who is the lowest
       cil push sequence, since the commit_lsn was set in
       xlog_cil_init_post_recovery, so the later push sequences think
       that push 1 is complete writing the log item list and commit
       ticket, so they proceed and write their commit tickets.

--Mark.