Re: xfsdump INTERRUPT issue

On Fri, Dec 07, 2012 at 05:26:12PM -0600, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> On 12/7/2012 4:58 PM, Dave Chinner wrote:

> >> Ah, yes.  I didn't catch the RT volume.
> >>
> >> Incidentally, since the real-time feature has never been fully supported
> >> under Linux, why are DVR manufacturers even using it?  Without GRIO and
> >> the XBOW ASIC the real-time volume is pretty much useless isn't it?
> >
> > The realtime volume actually has nothing to do with "real-time" at
> > all. What it has is a deterministic allocator (bitmap rather than
> > tree based) which is what you need for real-time applications (i.e.
> > bound worst case performance). It got called the "real-time device"
> > because of the applications it was used for, not because there is
> > anything "real-time" about it.  IOWs, you don't need special
> > hardware to take advantage of the properties of the allocator.
> >
> > DVR manufacturers have decided to use it for 3 reasons:
> >
> > 	1. Folklore says you need a RT device for
> > 	   concurrent streaming workloads
> > 	2. It's supported upstream
>
> Define "support" and "upstream".  The few RT related posts over the past
> years generated responses, some from you I think, that the RT code isn't
> maintained, hasn't been for a long time.  Maybe I've misunderstood.

We've found that over the past few years that there have been a lot
of "silent users". While we don't actively develop/improve the RT
functionality, maintenance still takes place. That is, we take they
patches for the bugs users find and we try not to introduce new bugs
as we change stuff.  And I do run xfstests with realtime devices
every so often - it's just not a high priority.

IOWs, if a vendor wants to ship a product based on the real-time
functionality, then that is their choice. It is also their
responsibility to ensure what they ship is fit for purpose, which is
why they have their own QA.... :)

Cheers,

Dave.
--