Re: Disk spin down

Hi,

>> Seems to me that something is still dirtying an inode regularly.
>>
>> Perhaps you need to look at the XFS and writeback event traces to
>> find out what process is dirtying the inode. trace-cmd is your
>> friend...
>
> Something like this?
>
> -----
> echo 1 > /sys/kernel/debug/tracing/events/xfs/enable
>
> echo 0 > /sys/kernel/debug/tracing/events/xfs/enable
>
> more /sys/kernel/debug/tracing/trace
> -----
>

> I tried recreating the situation of the last 2 days (clean boot, stopped
> services) and it's currently quiescing nicely. :-(
>
> I'll keep an eye on it and try to catch it in the act but every time I
> turn the tracing on the HDD light stays firmly off. :-(

There is more interesting news already.

I had used 'hdparm -S 120' to set the spindown_timeout to 10 minutes. It
appears that that was sticking through a cold boot. Setting that back to
its previous value of 1 (5 seconds) makes the disk constantly spin up
and down when I suspect it is idle.

I've caught a trace over the course of a few spinup/downs and attached
it (gzipped as it's 208K unpacked).

When the spindown_timeout was set to 10 minutes I managed to run the
trace for a minute without logging anything. When the spindown_timeout
is 5 seconds much more is logged.

Regards,
@ndy

--