Re: Question w.r.t xfsprogs changes

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 04:32:03PM -0500, Chandra Seetharaman wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am trying to make changes to the xfsprogs to support the patches I
> posted last week (and few minutes earlier).
>
> Looking at the xfsprogs code, I realize that the content of some of the
> files(xfs_mount.c, xfs_quota.h, etc.,) are pretty much same as the
> kernel files.
>
> Just wondering if those changes are to be made explicitly or they will
> be copied over from the kernel tree at some regular intervals ? IOW,
> should I be changing those files (in xfsprogs) and posting them as
> patches or have to wait for the sync to happen and then make only the
> changes that are specific to user space ?

Yes - basically all of the xfs_* files in libxfs/ and include are
copies of the kernel code.  Unfortunately it's not 1:1 at the moment
as there are a few differences:

 - the userspace code uses a single <xfs.h> include instead of the
   individual includes in kernel space
 - some files aren't fully used in userspace and the userspace variants
   miss some functions
 - if I remember correctly some functions aren't static in the userland
   version.

The latests xfsprogs release contains a major rebase of the code, but
if you have enough time to a resync with the code for the Linux 3.2
merge it would help a lot.