Re: xfs_repair: "fatal error -- ran out of disk space!"

On 6/22/2011 6:41 PM, Patrick J. LoPresti wrote:

> I guess one question is how xfs_repair should behave in this case.  I
> mean, what if the file system had been full, but too corrupt for me to
> delete anything?

Maybe you should rethink your policy on filesystem space management.
>From what you stated the FS in question actually was full.  You
apparently were unaware of it until a problem (misbehaving nfsd process)
brought it to your attention.  You should be monitoring your FS usage.
Something as simple as logwatch daily summaries can save your bacon here.

As a general rule, when an FS begins steadily growing past the 80% mark
heading toward 90%, you need to take action, either adding more disk to
the underlying LVM device and growing the FS, mounting a new device/FS
into a new directory in the tree and manually moving files, or making
use of some HSM software.

Full filesystems have been a source of problems basically forever.  It's
best to avoid such situations instead of tickling the dragon.

--
Stan