Re: xfs_repair: "fatal error -- ran out of disk space!"

On 6/22/11 4:32 PM, Patrick J. LoPresti wrote:
> I have a 5.1TB XFS file system that is 93% full (399G free according to "df").
>
> I am trying to run "xfs_repair" on it.
>
> The output is appended.
>
> Question:  What am I supposed to do about this?  "xfs_repair -V" says
> "xfs_repair version 3.1.5".  (I downloaded and built the latest
> version hoping it would fix the issue, but no luck.)  Should I just
> start deleting files at random?

You could start by removing a few files you know you don't need, rather than
at random.  :)

TBH I've not seen this one before, and the error message is not all that
helpful.  It'd be nice to know how many blocks it was trying to reserve
when it ran out of space; I guess you'd need to use gdb, or instrument
all the calls to res_failed() in phase6.c to know for sure...

You could also capture an xfs_metadump of the fs and provide it for
analysis, it would let us reproduce the issue and know for sure what's
going on.  By default it obfuscates metadata.

-Eric