Re: filesystem shrinks after using xfs_repair

On Jul 29, 2010, at 4:01 PM, Dave Chinner wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 12:22:30PM -0700, Eli Morris wrote:
>> I tried filling up the disk with data to see if that worked Ok and
>> it did, up until this point. There is something I don't understand
>> going on though. 'df' says that I have 381 GB free on the disk,
>> but I can't write to the disk anymore because it says it there
>> isn't any space left on it. Is this some insane round off error or
>> is there something going on here?
>
> If you haven't specified inode64, then all inodes are located below
> the 1TB mark. You've probably run out of space (or contiguous 16k
> chunks of free space) below 1TB. Using inode64 will avoid this - for
> a filesystem of that size, inode64 is probably a good idea as it
> will significantly improve performance.
>
> Keep in mind that legacy 32bit applications may have problems with
> 64 bit inode numbers, so if you have such applications (or 32 bit
> NFS clients) then you need to check carefully as to whether 64 bit
> inodes will work correctly or not....
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dave.
> --
> Dave Chinner
> david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Dave,

Is that something I could do now, or only when the filesystem is created? If I mount it with '-o inode64', can I mount it without that later, or once I write to the filesystem like that, can I not go back to mounting it in 32 bit mode?

Thanks again,

Eli