Re: filesystem shrinks after using xfs_repair

On Jul 27, 2010, at 10:12 PM, Eli Morris wrote:

> On Jul 26, 2010, at 3:20 AM, Dave Chinner wrote:

>>> I can update this to Centos 5 Update 4, but I can't install
>>> updates forward of it's release date of Dec 15, 2009. The reason
>>> is that this is the head node of a cluster and it uses the Rocks
>>> cluster distribution. The newest of Rocks is based on Centos 5
>>> Update 4, but Rocks systems do not support updates (via yum, for
>>> example).
>>>
>>> Updating the OS takes me a day or two for the whole cluster and
>>> all the user programs. If you're pretty sure that will fix the
>>> problem, I'll go for it tomorrow. I'd appreciate it very much if
>>> you could let me know if Centos 5.4 is recent enough that it will
>>> fix the problem..
>>
>> The only way I can find out is to load CentOS 5.4 onto a
>> system and run the above test. You can probably do that just as
>> easily as I can...
>>
>>> I will note that I've grown the filesystem several times, and
>>> while I recall having to unmount and remount the filesystem each
>>> time for it to report its new size, I've never seen it fall back
>>> to its old size when running xfs_repair. In fact, the original
>>> filesystem is about 12 TB, so xfs_repair only reverses the last
>>> grow and not the previous ones.
>>
>> Hmmm - I can't recall any bug where unmount was required before
>> the new size would show up. I know we had problems with arithmetic
>> overflows in both the xfs_growfs binary and the kernel code, but
>> they did not manifest in this manner. Hence I can't really say why
>> you are seeing that behaviour or why this time it is different.
>>
>> The suggestion of using a recent live CD to do the grow is a good
>> one - it might be your best option, rather than upgrading everything....
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Dave.
>> --
>> Dave Chinner
>> david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

> Hi All,
>
> Thanks for all the help. I was finally able to get a USB thumb drive made up with Fedora 13 (64 bit version-that turned out to be important!). I did the xfs_growfs after booting off that, then rebooted back to my normal configuration, ran xfs_repair, and this time the file system stayed OK. I'm doing an overnight write test and will run xfs_repair again tomorrow morning, but I think that solved the problem. BTW, Fedora has a great tool for making USB thumb drives with the live distro on it. It does everything for you, including downloading the disc image. nice. That's a pretty nasty bug.
>
> thanks again!
>
> Eli

Hi guys,

I tried filling up the disk with data to see if that worked Ok and it did, up until this point. There is something I don't understand going on though. 'df' says that I have 381 GB free on the disk, but I can't write to the disk anymore because it says it there isn't any space left on it. Is this some insane round off error or is there something going on here?

thanks,

Eli

[root@nimbus vol5]# df -h
/dev/sdb2              24G  7.6G   15G  34% /
/dev/sda5             1.7T  1.3T  391G  77% /export
/dev/sda2             3.8G  1.5G  2.2G  40% /var
tmpfs                  16G     0   16G   0% /dev/shm
/dev/sdb1             995G  946G   19G  99% /storage
tmpfs                 7.7G  7.9M  7.7G   1% /var/lib/ganglia/rrds
/dev/mapper/vg1-vol5   62T   62T  381G 100% /export/vol5
[root@nimbus vol5]# mkdir /export/vol5/testdir
mkdir: cannot create directory `/export/vol5/testdir': No space left on device
[root@nimbus vol5]#