Re: filesystem shrinks after using xfs_repair

On Jul 25, 2010, at 8:45 PM, Dave Chinner wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 08:20:44PM -0700, Eli Morris wrote:

>>> Sure is. The underlying device does not change configuration, and:

>>> There's a smoking gun - the primary superblock was modified in some
>>> way. Looks like the only way we can get this occurring without an
>>> error or warning being emitted is if repair found more superblocks
>>> with the old geometry in it them than the new geometry.
>>>
>>> With a current kernel, growfs is supposed to update every single
>>> secondary superblock, so I can't see how this could be occurring.
>>> However, can you remind me what kernel your are running and gather
>>> the following information?
>>>
>>> Run this before the grow:
>>>
>>> # echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop-caches
>>> # for ag in `seq 0 1 125`; do
>>>
>>> Then run the grow, sync, and unmount the filesystem. After that,
>>> re-run the above xfs_db command and post the output of both so I can
>>> see what growfs is actually doing to the secondary superblocks?
>>
>> [root@nimbus ~]# uname -a
>> Linux nimbus.pmc.ucsc.edu 2.6.18-128.1.14.el5 #1 SMP Wed Jun 17 06:38:05 EDT 2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> Ok, so that's a relatively old RHEL or Centos version, right?
>
>> [root@nimbus vm]#  echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
>> [root@nimbus vm]# for ag in `seq 0 1 125`; do
>>> xfs_db -r -c "sb $ag" -c "p agcount" -c "p dblocks" /dev/vg1/vol5
>>> done
>> agcount = 126
>> dblocks = 13427728384
>> agcount = 126
>> dblocks = 13427728384
>
> All nice and consistent before.
>
>> [root@nimbus vm]# umount /export/vol5
>> [root@nimbus vm]#  echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
>> [root@nimbus vm]# for ag in `seq 0 1 125`; do
>>> xfs_db -r -c "sb $ag" -c "p agcount" -c "p dblocks" /dev/vg1/vol5
>>> done
>> agcount = 156
>> dblocks = 16601554944
>> agcount = 126
>> dblocks = 13427728384
>> agcount = 126
>> dblocks = 13427728384
>
> And after the grow only the primary superblock has the new size and
> agcount, which is why repair is returning it back to the old size.
> Can you dump the output after the grow for 155 AGs instead of 125
> so we can see if the new secondary superblocks were written? (just
> dumping `seq 125 1 155` will be fine.)
>
> Also, the only way I can see this happening is that if there is an
> IO error reading or writing the first secondary superblock. That
> should leave a warning in dmesg - can you check to see if there's an
> error of the form "error %d reading secondary superblock for ag %d"
> or "write error %d updating secondary superblock for ag %d" in the
> logs? I notice that if this happens, we log but don't return the
> error, so the grow will look like it succeeded...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dave.
> --
> Dave Chinner
> david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Dave,

Here is the output---

thanks,

Eli

[root@nimbus log]# cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 5.3 (Final)

[root@nimbus log]# grep error dmesg

[root@nimbus log]# grep superblock *

so, don't see anything there.

[root@nimbus log]# echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
[root@nimbus log]#  for ag in `seq 125 1 155`; do
> xfs_db -r -c "sb $ag" -c "p agcount" -c "p dblocks" /dev/vg1/vol5
> done
agcount = 126
dblocks = 13427728384
agcount = 126