Re: Help with XFS

Emmanuel Florac put forth on 6/18/2010 7:00 AM:
> A commodity 16TB NAS costs much less (10000 € or less)
> than the data it holds and makes a nice backup system. NOTHING replaces
> a backup. Your system WILL fail someday (well it has now apparently).

Since he already has a FC SAN, going with something like a 4Gb FC Nexsan
Sataboy w/16 1TB drives would be a better option.  Pricing should be around
$10-12k USD.  I bought an 8x500GB drive 2Gb FC Satablade back in 2006 for
approximately $9k USD because expanding our IBM FasTt 600 would have cost over
$20K USD for 1/4th the additional storage of thh Nexsan (the FasTt 600 wasn't
compatible with the EXP810, so the only expansion option was adding another FC
tray with 14x73GB 15k FC disks).

As long as the OP has a free SFP LC port on his FC switch (and the ability to
program zones) this is definitely the way to go.  No NFS/CIFS overhead.  And
given the default 1GB cache on the Sataboy, it'll likely have better
performance than the DS4700/EXP810 combo (at half the cost).  The web GUI
admin interface makes setting up and managing the Nexsan units a breeze.  I've
been really happy with ours, and with Nexsan support.  Great products, great
company.

http://www.nexsan.com/sataboy.php

--
Stan