Re: Help with XFS

Le Thu, 17 Jun 2010 15:18:26 +0200
Thomas Førde <thomas.forde@xxxxxxxxxxxx> écrivait:

> i have run xfs_check without any verbos information given
> i have run xfs_repair without any information errors fixed.

That's unfortunate that you didn't post here before doing irreparable
damage. Any activity to the filesystem may delete permanently data, so
you should stop using it completely until done with the rescue
operations and unmount it.

> when i try to mount the XFS filesystem of 10TB, my 7.8 TB of data is
> now gone.
>
> before:         /dev/sdf1            10527858560 8801101708
> 1726756852 84% /D5
> after:          /dev/sdf1            10527858560       528
> 10527858032 1% /D5

Some old versions of xfs_repair may fail on big FS. You didn't mention
which version you're using, which distribution and which kernel. The
hardware setup may be important, too.

> help, where did my data go, and how can i get it back.

Apparently xfs_repair deleted it because it was corrupt (alas, happen
sometimes with xfs_repair before 2.8). The best thing to do is to get it
back from backups. I suppose that you have no backup (people don't do
any backup until they lose important data, which always occurs).

If you have no backups, your last hope is to use a tool like photorec
to find your data on the raw device; however it won't reconstruct the
metadata (no names, no folders, no hierarchy, no user rights). BTW you
need some other place to store the newly discovered files with at least
as much space (7.8 TB).

My condolences. I once lost 13TB and see, I'm not dead. You'll get over
it somehow.