X socket file limit exceeded.

I seem to have exceeded the limit of X sockets.

On my LTSP server users connect to their desktops using a local VNC server session. The sockets files are found in  /tmp/.X11-unix/. On my server they start at X0 and go all the way up to X99. When someone logs in they get a free socket and a corresponding socket file is created for them. In this respect they seem to be connected to the display session but I cannot be sure of that. The problem seems that when someone logs out their socket file should be removed, but it seems that is not always happening. Just today people could not login anymore. I found that all socket files from X0 to X99 were in /tmp/.X11-unix/.

I am looking for some way to figure out what sockets are still in use and which ones I can delete. That is not to hard but I still only have 100 socket files to use. I think I will need more. Is there an easy way to increase the number of socket files I can use?

I am running XFree86 4.3.0 on my server.

Royce Souther
www.SiliconTao.com
Let Open Source help your business move beyond.

For security this message is digitally authenticated by GnuPG.