Re: Default XFree86 splash screen

  Replacing the default pattern that the server installs with your
own custom pattern cannot be done without modifying the X-server,
and I suspect it would be a non-trivial modification.  You'd
be best off changing it after the server starts using some
external utility such as xsetroot or some image viewing utility.
Many (most?) image viewers, such as xv, have the ability to
change the root window image from the command line.  Eg.

  xv -root -quit myimage.xpm

                Mark.