Re: Display glitch using new Linux on old Laptop

Mark Vojkovich wrote:
   If you were using the neomagic driver and the rendering
was wrong while the vga driver rendered correctly, that implies
a HW acceleration problem with the neomagic driver.  You might
try using the neomagic driver with:

   Option "noaccel"

in the Section "Device" of the XF86Config file.  If that works
but is slow, you can add Option "ShadowFB", which should be
faster.  Another option would be to omit the "noaccel" and
"ShadowFB" options and instead try to turn off the acceleration
feature that is broken.  It's not clear which feature that is
so it would take some experimentation, but for starters, I'd
try:

   Option "XaaNoPixmapCache"
   Option "XaaNoOffscreenPixmaps"

Thanks for your hints. Sadly, my problems
seem rather "deep".

I switched (down) to VGA driver (guessing that the chip
might support it) and set 800x600 24 bit,
and still had the same problem.

The only setting that gave non-bugged display
was VGA, 1024x768, 256 (paletted) colours!

This is a little limiting :-)

So I suspect my problem is rather deep rooted.

I have run Mandrake 9.0, 9.1, 9.2 and 10.1 successfully
on this machine; this is the first graphics
problem I've had.

Any hints (as always...) gratefully accepted.

  BugBear