Re: Configuration problems with Intel 82865G plus PS2 and USB mouse

On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 04:43:10PM -0500, Ian Shields wrote:
>I'm trying to install 4.5.0 on a fairly minimal system and I cannot get
>most of the configuration tools to work, or I'm expecting more than I'm
>seeing. System is an IBM Thinkcenter with a 3.0GHz Pentium 4. Graphics is
>onboard Intel 82865G (aka i910). This configuration has no problem being
>detected by any complete installation of Linux which includes X.org or
>XFree86 and all the live systems I've used run fine on it.
>
>I see similar results using either a Ubuntu 5.1 (Breezy Badger) installed
>as server, or Red Hat EL4 Workstation installed as minimal. On the Ubuntu
>system, the XFree86 4.5.0 install seems to run fine, using the recommended
>Binary distribution name is 'Linux-ix86-glibc23' form sh Xinstall.sh
>-check. I install everything except the rstart links and I don't rebuild
>the DRM modules (since the minimal system doesn't have a either compiler
>or kernel source).
>
>Now I attempt to run
>XFree86 -autoconfig
>I get a gray screen with a crosshatch pattern and an X on it. Mouse will
>move the X, but nothing else on screen. Pressing ctrl-alt-backspace kills
>X and the only apparent error on the console is
>(EE) open /defv/fb0: No such file or directory
>There is no XF86Config file in /etc/X11 or anywhere on the /filesystem.
>However, running 'startx' will bring up an X server.

This is all as it should be.  With no config file, XFree86 4.5.0 will
generate a built-in automatic configuration (as with -autoconfig).  I
don't understand what the problem is.  The point of automatic configuration
is to eliminate the need for an XF86Config file for the vast majority
of situations.

XFree86 4.5.0 also allows some mixing of static (XF86Config) and automatic
configuration.  See the -appendauto option in the XFree86(1) man page.

The goal I'm working towards with XFree86 configuration is completely
optional static preference data, which is changeable by the user at
run-time.  This will obsolete the traditional XF86Config file.

David
--
David Dawes                                     X-Oz Technologies
www.XFree86.org/~dawes                          www.x-oz.com