Configuration problems with Intel 82865G plus PS2 and USB mouse

I'm trying to install 4.5.0 on a fairly minimal system and I cannot get most of the configuration tools to work, or I'm expecting more than I'm seeing. System is an IBM Thinkcenter with a 3.0GHz Pentium 4. Graphics is onboard Intel 82865G (aka i910). This configuration has no problem being detected by any complete installation of Linux which includes X.org or XFree86 and all the live systems I've used run fine on it.

I see similar results using either a Ubuntu 5.1 (Breezy Badger) installed as server, or Red Hat EL4 Workstation installed as minimal. On the Ubuntu system, the XFree86 4.5.0 install seems to run fine, using the recommended Binary distribution name is 'Linux-ix86-glibc23' form sh Xinstall.sh -check. I install everything except the rstart links and I don't rebuild the DRM modules (since the minimal system doesn't have a either compiler or kernel source).

Now I attempt to run
XFree86 -autoconfig
I get a gray screen with a crosshatch pattern and an X on it. Mouse will move the X, but nothing else on screen. Pressing ctrl-alt-backspace kills X and the only apparent error on the console is
(EE) open /defv/fb0: No such file or directory
There is no XF86Config file in /etc/X11 or anywhere on the /filesystem. However, running 'startx' will bring up an X server.

So I try
XFree86 -configure
This time there is an no X display and an error
(EE) Failed to load module "glide" (a required submodule could not be loaded, 2)
and
XFree86 is not able to detect your mouse
(the same mouse that was detected by -autoconfig). Suggestion is to fix the problem and run XFree86 -xf86config /home/ian/XF86Config.new
If I fix the invalid device (/dev/mouse) and set it to /dev/input/mice, I get the same display output as I got with -autoconfig.

Next I try xf86cfg. I get the same background, but this time I get two windows. A config diagram and a set of instructions for using the keypad buttons to simulate a mouse. I scroll around and configure the mouse to use /dev/input/mice and then clisk "Apply changes". Back to gray background. I have a new or updated XF86Config.new file which is back to using /dev/mouse, even though I just told it to use /dev/input/mice!

Finally, I resort to xf86config. Using this I am able to create an XF86Config file.

I can post logs, but I'd like to know if I'm missing something obvious first.

Ian Shields