Re: Configuration problems with Intel 82865G plus PS2 and USB mouse

Thanks. The instructions at http://www.xfree86.org/4.5.0/Install3.html#5 say

The next step is to get the XFree86 server running. The recommended way to do this is to run:

    XFree86 -autoconfig

This will work well in many cases, and if it suits your needs you can make it the default by simply moving/renaming any existing XF86Config file so that the XFree86 server does not find it. If it doesn't, or if you want to make changes to the auto-detected configuration, try the xf86cfg or xf86config utilities or try running:

    XFree86 -configure

I (mis)understood the bit about "simply moving/renaming any existing XF86Config file" to imply that the autoconfig step would generate a new XF86Config file. Does running "XFree86 -autoconfig" create any files or shoudl users just try running "startx" instead?

A suggestion: I guess it's not obvious that the gray screen with a crosshatch pattern and an X on it and no active keys or buttons or hints to the user is the expected output from "XFree86 -autoconfig". It might be good to update the instructions or put some hint on the display itself.

BTW, when running xf86cfg, the image of the numeric pad that contains the instructions for using it as a mouse surrogate has 'below' misspelled as 'bellow'.

Thanks again for the help.

Ian Shields Ph.D.
Linux  Technologist, ISV & Developer Relations
IBM Corp
Research Triangle Park, NC
ishields@xxxxxxxxxx