Re: is that possible to have an X window

On Saturday 14 January 2006 19:32, seid muhie wrote:
>  I have one problem?
>   I have one Linux Server.
>   I am using this machine by logging in to  it from other client windows
> machine. can I have the X windows -thru telnet in this windows machin?
>   when I say startx from there, it will respond as
>   PAM authontication failed, cannot start X server.

You need to run an X-server on your windows box ( see cygwin for example)

The X server runs as a regular Server (like your web server) and can be
connected to from any location on the network (if allowed of course).

This by setting export DISPLAY=HOST:0.0 on the terminal session of the linux
server you wish to start the application on and then run the X-application

There are other means to do this (like use XDMCP an log in on that server from
your client box through X or ssh -X which sets your DISPLAY variable
automatically and uses the ssh connection to tunnel your X-requests through
it (I do not know if that works under cygwin though)