seeking S3 Trio 64 assistance with XFree 4.5.0

I have an IBM PC 300 GL 6285-66U with an S3 Trio 3D OnBoard chip (NCDOBB 86C366). I've installed several Linux distributions and gotten "good" video, but I would prefer to run Debian "Stable", and the default XFree in the current release doesn't recognize this chip.

I downloaded the correct version of XFree (after running Xinstall -check) and it seemed to install fine.

When I run XFree86 -autoconfig I see the big grid and can move my mouse pointer freely, and the resolution looks good, but the system never progresses or returns to a prompt. When I run XFree86 -configure the system fails.

I thank you in advance for any help or advice you can provide, and I will gladly send you any logs and other files if you tell me what you need.

Thanks,
James Oldham