Re: Please Help Me

On 8/22/05, charles williams <williams_c1950@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Start looking for another job.
I've emailed "aboodeng" asking him whether or not he ever got his
system working. I hope he replies.

In the meantime, I've researched his errors a bit more. The error
about not being able to find "default font 'fixed'" is common and
generally means there's some problem with (surprise!) loading the
fonts. The other error that he gave that was returned by 'startx' was:

XIO:    fatal io error 104 (connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
       after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

Googling for this error returned many results. One in particular
looked helpful. Here are the relevant links:

Initial report:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gdm-list/2002-August/msg00003.html
Reply: http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gdm-list/2002-August/msg00004.html

Note the reply to the initial problem report:

Jules> Fatal server error: could not open default font 'fixed'

You X Font Server isn't running.  /etc/init.d/xfs start.

Again, this suggests that the font server simply isn't running.
Restarting it should allow XFree86 to work or at least should cause it
to fail in some other way that can then be diagnosed further.

If you have any substantial reply explaining why you think I'm wrong,
I'd love to hear it. I'm not one to deny to the death that I'm wrong.
So far your replies have been nothing but alarmist and unsubstantial.

Furthermore, I'm quite aware that I need to start looking for a new
job. I'm not allowed to stay in my current part-time position much
longer as I'm graduating from college soon. If you have any
suggestions, I'd be interested to hear them.

Thanks.

-Andy