problems with inspiron 7500

A while ago I had a problem with 4.4 and an inspiron 7500.
Since then I've gone through various software configuration changes
and a teh moment I have teh xorg server on there (that's what was loaded
by the OS install I'm using). However it doesn;t work in exactly the same
way that Xfree86 4.4 didn't work at one stage.

The server thinks it is running but the screen is black.

Before I go to teh trouble of going deinstalling everything and
reinstalling XFree864.3 again (that worked), does anyone know
if it has been fixed in the latest 4.4 code?
I saw an email that indicated it was but I couldn't find it again on
google. The problem is registerred in teh xorg problem database as #1109
but I don't know how to find such prolems in the Xfree86 website so
I can't say if there is a problem registerred there.

If it was fixed in XFree86, is there a pointer to the patch?
I might as well point the xorg problem PR in the right drection too.

Julian